In the period that became known as the Ascendancy, grants of land were made to English settlers in recognition of services rendered to the Crown, usually in a military capacity. This was largely at the expense of old Irish princes and chieftains.
The lands granted to Sir John King in 1603 had, for centuries, been controlled by the Mac Dermott Clan.
The Mac Dermotts (Mac Diarmada) were the ruling dynasty over a large part of Connacht. The official residence of the Clan was at Moylurg, an estate the King family would later rename as ‘Rockingham’. Today Moylurg is the home of Lough Key Forest and Adventure Park.
The Gaelic Ireland exhibition at King House depicts celebratory feasts, looks at the harsh realities of daily life and recounts the tragic legend of Úna Bhán Mac Dermott.